Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Progress Reports

Our progress reports are due to be mailed this week for any students with a D or F. I have quite a few students in my English 11 class who are failing due to suspensions or absences. Our district has a policy that does not allow students out on suspension to make up missed assignments. This poses a problem for me because I want to give these students a chance to do the missed work but I don't want to go against the school's policy. Does anyone have a similar situation? My intentions are not to give grades but I do want every student to have the opportunity to complete missing assignments. Also, my students who are absent know the procedure for finding their assignments in the Make Up Binder. We are only supposed to give them one day to make up work but I give them until the end of the week. I have a couple of students who will not get their work from the Make Up Binder. It is almost like they don't care. I remind them sometimes that they have work and one time, I even got it out of the binder for them to be completed. Then, they didn't turn it in. How am I supposed to get the students to understand how much they need to make up this work when they don't care?

No comments: