Wednesday, December 3, 2008

25 Book Campaign

Our school district does a reading campaign for every student to read 25 books each year. Our principal came around yesterday and told the teachers to make sure their homeroom students have a book to read and if not, take them to the library to check a book out. All my students now have books but a few are not strong readers. They don't enjoy reading because they struggle with it so badly. I try to model good reading by reading a book during homeroom too. However, sometimes I need to use that 15 minutes to prepare for the day. Does anyone have any good tips to motivate the kids to read? The students have to read a book, do a book review on a prepared form, and get me to read the review and sign off on it. When they have reached certain goals (4 books a month, 10 books total, etc.), they receive some sort of prize from the librarian. I am really trying but feel I am failing miserably!

No comments: