Tuesday, December 2, 2008

After School Tutoring

We offer after school tutoring for our students who did not make proficient on the state tests. Actually, some students are required to attend. However, I only have 6 students out of 24 who actually show up regularly. One teacher makes cookies for her after school kids but she only gets about 10 regulars. She is single and has time to do that stuff. But I don't have time to bribe my students. We have two forty-minute sessions with 3 kids showing up for each session. It is becoming difficult to teach 3 students for that long. I have talked with the administration about making one session for all students in literacy and one session for all students in math (maybe on different days?) but they don't seem to want to listen to logic. I just feel as if my time is being wasted and there are three literacy teachers that tutor after school from 3:30 to 5:00 every day but Friday. It seems kind of ridiculous for three teachers to be paid for 12 students attending. I am just getting frustrated!!

No comments: